First Hill Landmark
The Stimson-Green Mansion, an exceptional example of early twentieth century English Tudor Revival style architecture, is located in Seattle’s First Hill neighborhood. Thanks to the generous donation of the Stimson-Green Mansion by Patsy Bullitt Collins in 2001, the Washington Trust is proud owner and steward of one of the most significant residential landmarks in Seattle. The Mansion is primarily of Tudor and Gothic revival, but its eclectic styles also range through Moorish, Romanesque, Neoclassical, and Renaissance influences.
C.D. and Harriet Stimson commissioned Spokane architect Kirtland Cutter to design the Stimson-Green Mansion, which was completed in 1901 and is one of Seattle’s most impressive examples of “eclectic architecture.” For more than a decade, the Stimsons lived in the home with their son, Tom, and their daughter, Dorothy. After the Stimsons moved to a larger home in The Highlands in 1914, Seattle businessman Joshua Green and his wife Laura purchased the house in 1915. For the next 60 years, the Green Family resided at “1204,” as it was known to them, raising their three children and entertaining family, friends and business associates; making very few changes to the building’s elaborate interior.