Status: Current List
Year Listed: 2017
Valley, Washington’s “Little White Schoolhouse,” as it is known by locals, was built in 1916 as an annex for the original 1905 schoolhouse on the property. A brick schoolhouse was built in 1917 and expanded in 1926, but of the three historic buildings, only the annex remains. The schoolhouse served the school district in a variety of capacities through the years, but is currently vacant. District officials nonetheless hope to see it preserved and have offered to shift funds allocated for demolition toward relocating the building to a new site, provided there is a viable community plan for its rehabilitation and future management.
Initial plans to save the building have been approved. While all parties are optimistic, there is still a lot of work to be done around fundraising and programming to ensure that the schoolhouse is preserved and successfully integrated back into the Valley community.